Lead Product Designer – Growth (Remote) at Quora
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of experience in people’s heads, or buried in books and papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds — from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences — so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world’s knowledge, and we’re building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.
About the Team:
We’re creating a repository for all human knowledge. To do this, we need to design systems that make sharing knowledge rewarding and discovering it easy; and that scale to support the participation of the entire planet. Designing a global ecosystem for knowledge sharing, and the platform for businesses to reach this audience, requires a multidisciplinary approach. We’re building a diverse team with people of different backgrounds and experiences, empowered to shape strategy while moving quickly and learning as much as possible.
Designers at Quora are building a system to democratize access to all knowledge for the entire world. Our work leverages what we learn about psychological and social dynamics, communities and networks, and systems and policy design, in addition to more typical design skills. We value a diverse team and pursue candor, holism, rigor, care, and awareness in our work.
About the Role: Lead Product Designer
Quora is designed to get better with scale. The more people sharing and consuming knowledge on Quora, the better the product becomes. To that end, the Growth team is responsible for driving new users to Quora. In 2022 this team is focused on improving search visitor experience, better retaining new users, and finding new channels to acquire new users.
Product design plays a significant role in product strategy and direction — as an integral part of that structure, you will be a leader on our newly formed Growth team collaborating close with peers from product, data science and engineering.
We value rigor and empathy in equal measure, both are essential to democratize access to knowledge. Designers reason through complex product decisions, translating strategic goals to product systems and features. Collaborating closely with cross functional teams to advance design’s perspective, designers implement their solutions themselves. Design decisions are validated through A/B testing and user studies. A senior designer will prototype, iterate and ship new features, bug fixes, and small improvements all in a week.
Responsibilities: Lead Product Designer
- Identify high-impact opportunities for the business, design strategies and features in pursuit of growth initiatives.
- Partner with cross-functional leads ongoing improvement of our growth related product framework.
- Comfortable conducting a set of product sprints and iterate quickly based on growth hacking knowledge.
- Navigate ambiguity and clearly communicate decision rationale to designers and cross functional partners alike.
- Contribute to team growth and development through mentorship and evangelizing best practices.
- Work autonomously to quickly and pragmatically execute on multiple projects.
- Streamline and manage UI complexity (complexity reduction is not always the solution), resulting in polished UI design, clear information hierarchy, a holistic feature set.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora’s “coordination hours” (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Standard Time). Learn why here
- Portfolio that demonstrates digital design capabilities across apps and other platforms.
- 5+ years experience designing complex products with clear, effective interactions to accomplish business goals.
- Experience working in direct collaboration with product managers, engineers, and other stakeholders to implement technical solutions based on your design
- Experience coordinating, directing, and guiding the work of other designers on your team.
- Proven track record of aligning stakeholders at a strategic level for complex social products
- Experience with A/B testing and use of data analysis frameworks
Preferred Qualifications: Lead Product Designer
- Experience maintaining and improving a design system.
- Skilled at delivering high quality mobile experiences for social media products.